What’s Happening in Madison County, North Carolina
VisitMadisonCounty.com/events or call 828 680-9031
November 15 – 22
- Thursday, November 16 at 7:30: This World of Yes, Saxophone and Voice Recital featuring nationally recognized mezzo-soprano Megan Ihnen and MHU Professor Al Theisen in the Broyhill Chapel on the campus of MHU. Admission is free and open to the public. For more information: www.mhu.edu
- Saturday, November 18 from 10 am to 5 pm at the Marshall High Studios: Marshall Handmade Market. Crafts, fine arts and design. On the island in Marshall. For more information: marshallhandmade.com
- Monday, November 20 at 7:30 pm: Percussion Ensemble Concert in Moore Auditorium on the campus of MHU. This concert will feature music from the Marimba Band, African Ensemble and the Percussion Orchestra. Admission is free and open to the public. For more information: www.mhu.edu
- Saturday, August 19 through March 4: The Rural Heritage Museum at MHU opens a new exhibition, “The Civil War In the Southern Highlands: A Human Perspective,” Museum is open daily, except Mondays, from 11 to 5 pm. Located in the Montague Hall and admission is free. Information at http://www.mhu.edu/museum or call 689-1200
- Weekdays from 10am to 4pm (closed for lunch 12 to 1): Weizenblatt Art Gallery in Moore Auditorium on Cascade Street, Mars Hill will host an exhibit featuring artist Martha Skinner. The exhibit will run from November 1 – December 15. Information at 828 689-1209 www.mhu.edu/art. Free. Open to the Public. Hours are 10-4 pm Monday- Friday. Gallery will be closed December 16 to January 16.
- Wednesday, October 25 through December 1: Ragtime Willy Pottery, an exhibit of functional works by Andy Gordon. On display at the (New) Arts Center, 152 North Main Street, Marshall. For more information: 828-649-1301 or www.madisoncountyarts.com
- Weeknights: Open Mic Nights–Mondays at Stackhouse, Wednesday at Zuma, Friday at Mars Hill Radio Theatre. Contact locations for information.
- Tuesdays, Fridays and Saturdays at Good Stuff, 38 Baileys Branch Road in downtown Marshall. Live music (plus other nights at times). 649-9711
- Wednesdays from 6:30 to 9:00 at Zuma. Open Mic with hosts Linda Jarvis and Jerry Burns.
- Thursdays at 7pm at Zuma, 7 N. Main St, downtown Marshall: FREE music with “Blue Grass Jam” featuring Bobby Hicks and friends 649-1617
- Thursdays from 8 to 10pm: Andy Buckner Live Music at Stackhouse Restaurant, 37 S. Main Street, Mars Hill. 680-1213
- Fridays at 6:30pm at The Depot, 282 S. Main St, downtown Marshall: FREE traditional music and dancing. 649-2332 (all year except for first Friday in December)
Saturdays from 10 am to 2 pm: Mars Hill Tailgate Market is on the Quad on Mars Hill University campus. Holiday markets from November 4 to December 16. Will move inside Spillman Hall on College Street when the weather gets cold. For more information: https://www.facebook.com/
- Saturdays from 10am to 2pm: Hot Springs Homegrown & Handmade Market. Holiday markets to be determined soon. For more information https://www.facebook.com/hotspringsmarket or https://hotspringsmarket.wordpress.com/
- Every other Saturday at 7:30: Rodeo at the Madison County Fairgrounds. $10 for tickets. Next rodeo on November 11. The rodeos are inside with heat and concessions and will be held once a month throughout the winter. For more information, contact 828-206-6969.
- Thursday, November 30 to Sunday, December 3: The Theatre Department on the campus of MHU will present “The Great American Trailer Park Musical”. Music and Lyrics by David Nehls: book by Betsy Kelso. Show times as follows: Thursday-Saturday, November 30 to December 2 at 7:30 pm and Sunday, December 3 at 2:30 pm. There will not be a performance on Friday, December 1 due to other events on campus.Tickets are $15 for adults and non-MHU students are $12. Reserve you seat today!!! The MHU Box Office is located in Day Hall and will be open 3-5 pm each weekday beginning on Monday, 11/20. Cash or check only. For more information: www.mhu.edu/events. This show is not suitable for children under 13.
- Friday, December 1 at 7 pm: MHU’s Annual Christmas Concert in Moore Auditorium on the campus of MHU. Don’t miss it! Performances by the University Choir and the Mars Hill University Wind Symphony will fill the auditorium with holiday cheer and get you in the mood for Christmas! Admission is free and open to the public. For more information: www.mhu.edu
- Saturday, December 2 at 6:30 pm: A Night of Hope Benefit Concert; live music, fair trade products and vendors. Proceeds to support Human Trafficking Prevention in Cambodia. Legacy of Hope International in partnership with Noonday Collection and Mars Hill Radio Theatre. $8 donation, tickets at the door.
- Friday and Saturday, December 2 & 3 at 6:30 pm: CHRISTMAS PAGEANT
Downtown Marshall is transformed into the streets of Bethlehem for this annual reenactment of the Nativity. Over 35 cast members bring this outdoor drama to life depicting costumed townspeople backed by songs of the season by a local choir and narration.
- Sunday, December 3 at 3 pm: Katherine Girtman’s Senior Clarinet Recital in the Broyhill Chapel on the campus of MHU. Admission is free and open to the public. For more information: www.mhu.edu
- Tuesday, December 5 from 7 pm to 10 pm: an Evening of Traditional Dance: Circles, Squares, Contras, Waltz & Live Music. Marshall High Studios on the Island in Marshall. Open to Everyone! $5/ages 12 and under-free.
- Friday and Saturday, December 8 & 9: The Madison County Arts Council Presents: 11th Annual Holiday Sale. Friday 5-8 pm and Saturday 10 am to 3 pm. Pop-Up Studio, 31 North Main Street, Marshall. For more information: www.madisoncountyarts.com or 828-649-1301. Free and Open to the public.
- Thursday, December 14 to December 23: Smoke on the Mountain: Sanders Family Christmas will be presented as a benefit Christmas show for SART on the campus of MHU. Performances Thursday – Saturday at 7:30 and matinees on both Saturdays and Sundays at 2:30. Tickets are $25 and $20 for groups of 10 or more. To buy tickets or more information: sartplays.org or box office 866-811-4111
- Wednesday, January 17 to Friday, February 4, 2018: David Brendan Hopes will the the guest artist displaying his painting in the Weizenblatt gallery on the campus of MHU: Opening reception will be Wednesday, January 25 from 6-8 pm. Admission is free and opening to the public. For more information: www.mhu.edu/art
Contact us to learn more about the wide variety of experiences available in our beautiful county by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
Provided by: Madison County Tourism Development Authority and Madison County Visitor Center